Thursday, September 8, 2011

Hospitality - A commandment from the Lord

I'm not sure what happened to me between the time I was in high school to now. I used to be a social butterfly and now I tend to prefer being a homebody. I believe there is a time and place for both, however, in an effort to not only honor God, I am also looking at ways to honor my husband. One of the things I have come to learn about my hubby is his desire to surround himself with other people. This is a stretch for me. Not that I don't enjoy and love my friends, but the extra effort and work to prepare food, make sure our home is clean and is a welcoming environment can become exhausting. But lately, I have felt God working in my heart and challenging this laziness. So, through numerous hours of blog reading and time with the Lord, I can say I am actually beginning to have joy towards this idea of hospitality.

So, what is hospitality? A good friend of mine,
Erica, shared with me her findings on what hospitality is and isn't.

Hospitality is NOT the same as entertaining.
When I think of the word 'entertaining', I think fake. It's a time to put your best foot forward in an effort to impress and gain man's approval. But hospitality is so different. It is a way to bless those God leads you to bless. It is a way to share in each other's burdens and joys. (
Galations 6:2) It is a way to break bread and have edifying conversations. And, it's so much more...

Hospitality IS a commandment from the Lord.
1 Peter 4:9 Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling (This one I am still working on, but hey! I'm a work in progress :))

Hospitality IS reaching out to those that you do not know very well and may even make you feel uncomfortable.

Luke 14:12-14 He said also to the man who had invited him, “When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just.”

Hospitality IS a way to bless those God leads you to bless.
Romans 12:13 Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

~Thank you for taking the time to read this post. I must be going now as I have to prepare my home, heart and spirit for a hospitality opportunity tonight. I hope that this has made you think and meditate on what hospitality truly is - a command from God. ~

Be blessed,
Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Very insightful! Pastors Dave and Norm talked about this very topic 2 weeks ago at Calvary Leadership Training. Great reminder :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you! It truly is amazing to see God's work and hand in your life. I am proud of what you are becoming--a godly woman who is seeking after God's calling on her life! Love you, friend.

    ReplyDelete