Saturday, February 26, 2011

Discovering my inner Proverbs 31

I first would like to thank a good friend of mine for reminding me of the scripture Romans 8:28. It was this verse that led me to writing this blog.

Yesterday marked the second day I would be sick at home and not at work. After being reminded of this verse, I went to God and asked him to reveal his purpose for me being sick. I opened my devotional, which I wasn't able to find until that very morning, when as I was laying there sick on the couch, I found it hiding under the coffee table. The devotional talked about how if it's not something God has called you to do, then don't waste your time doing it. For whatever reason, this really struck me.

After some more quiet time with God, I decided to peruse through Facebook. Who am I kidding? We don't peruse..we stalk! Anyhow, I came across one of my friend's pages who is about to have a baby, a baby girl to be specific. The reason this is important is because she only has experience raising a baby boy. Knowing that, as her facebook post showed, she has been spending her time learning how to make pretty little hair bows for her new baby girl. Right then, I realized that my brain just doesn't naturally work that way. I put myself in that situation and thought to myself, if I were her, would I have even thought to research how to make homemade bows, let alone, would I have even thought there was a difference between raising a baby boy and a baby girl. Then it dawned on me, she was doing that very thing my devotional had spoken about. The other day, she said that she knew her calling from God was to be a wife and mother, and she was using her time wisely to prepare for her calling.

It was then that God revealed that he has called me into marriage but that I haven't been doing anything other than the occasional wedding planning to prepare. God has blessed us with a specific example in the Proverbs 31 woman and it is our job to do our best to become that (only with God's strength, grace, patience, and forgiveness he shows us).

For those of you who have known me prior to my Christ following days, you know that I have never been known to have a desire to be a housewife. And, the thought of me actually enjoying cooking, cleaning, supporting and encouraging a man was never something I was looking forward to doing. By the grace of God, I can honestly say for the past year God has been doing great work in me in preparation of the day that I become a wife and eventually a mother. Though it's been rough, I can say with a smile on my face, that I joyfully look forward to June 18th, 2011 when I become Mrs. Paris.

28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

1 comment: